Saturday, January 17, 2009

'All Is Well' - The Story

Hi,

Recently I wrote a song called ‘All Is Well’ that folk in our church in Belfast seem to have connected with. It seems to be one of those songs that I call a ‘God-song’…something that just came very quickly and that seems to speak into now. Below I have attempted to explain a little about where the song has come from and the story behind it.

All is Well is a song that is written based on Hannah’s Prayer in 1 Samuel 2. The song emerged during a testing time when I was deliberately looking for some clarity or answers in Scripture. I specifically turned to the Bible to discover a little more about what God was saying in relation to our health and wealth. Some questions had been pressing on my mind….’If God is a healer, why does he sometimes not answer prayers for healing?’ ‘If God is our provider, why are some people not provided for?’ and probably more poignantly, ‘Is our own health and wealth purely dependent on our levels of faith and purity in our lives?’ ‘If we are not wealthy or we are sick, is that due to us….to sin in our lives and to a lack of faith?’ ‘Do we control God or is He in control?’.

I appreciate these are big questions and I am most definitely not a theologian however they have been on my mind as I have watched others wrestle with them in our church and as I have watched the global economy beginning to slide. At times I have a concern that we demonstrate a belief that if we work harder, pray more, have a bigger faith, then God is more likely to do what we want.

Unfortunately, it seems that life does not always work out the way we want it to. If we pray more, we do not always get what we want. Life can be very difficult, even if we have faith and pray. Our previous drummers sister died despite our prayers, sometimes it is hard to pay the household bills despite our prayers, sometimes we experience loss that is too personal to mention publically….and this is only for us living in the relative luxury of the west. Are these things our fault? Is this because we haven’t been good enough, pure enough or faithful enough? I would argue that it isn’t our fault based on the fact that God is sovereign, that He is in control (not us).

Hannah had a sense of that in her prayer. She had suffered ‘great anguish and grief’ and had chased after God for an answer, a solution, a hope, a child. On this occasion, God heard her prayer and answered it by giving her a child. However, instead of patting herself on the back for her part in bringing about this happy outcome she prayed a prayer that articulated something of God’s sovereignty. She stated,

“The Lord brings death and makes alive;
He brings down to the grave and raises up.
The Lord sends poverty and wealth;
He humbles and he exalts.
He raises the poor from the dust and lifts the needy from the ash heap…
…It is not by strength that one prevails.”

It seems that Hannah was stating through these words that it is God who decides the answers to our prayers. He is the sovereign Lord who sees our circumstance and decides in His way how to respond. He in not controlled by us; neither can He be tamed by us. He is beyond us and chooses to act in His time for His pleasure. This does not mean that He is a cruel, detached, disinterested God. In my life I have seen Him be a wise, loving generous God. He knows more about us and the state of the world than we do. Therefore we can engage with the Father and present our prayers and requests to Him knowing that He cares.

There is very little we can do when we are faced with testing times apart from throw ourselves on the Lord and ask that he responds. However we can do this with assurance that He is a good Father and that He has our best purposes and interests at heart.

‘All Is Well’ comes from that place. It is a song that makes the conscious choice to declare that all is well with my soul because He is God in control. Ultimately, we can trust Him. Regardless of our circumstance or difficulty and even if He does not answer prayer in the way we would like we can still trust Him that all is well.

Like everyone, I have experienced hard and painful times. Times when I have questioned God and sought answers. However, I am pleased to be able to worship God by singing a song that reaches back to Hannah’s prayer and connects with her experiences of trusting a sovereign God. I hope that this song can be an encouragement to you too. Even in the dark days of the fallout from the credit crunch and how that is effecting our lives, I hope you can trust the Father enough to declare that all is well with your soul.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

can't wait to hear it tomorrow!
miss you parksies

18:44  
Blogger Steve Workman said...

Brilliant. Johnny, I love the honesty of acknowledging that it's not all "ok" when you follow God or pray to Him. It's very real, and I'm not surprised its resonating with folks in your church. I've been taking a look at Psalms recently with some friends, and we were discussing how David brings both parts to the songs - on one hand, life is bad and he has no way out, and it seems like he's been abandoned, but on the other hand he still goes to God. There is something in his experience that forces him to keep coming back, knowing that ultimately God is in control/is sovereign/will come through/hasn't left him/will keep his promises/is trustworthy. It allows me to breath a sigh of relief and just wait for Him.

18:47  
Blogger roast honey said...

I am so thankful that you wrote the song Johnny and went to the trouble to explain it on here. A friend I know is dying from a brain tumor. Our church is praying and I believe one hundred percent that he can be healed. But i struggled for so long because my mum died of terminal cancer and I prayed 'Your will be done' and I felt guilty that somehow after she died, that I was guilty of a lack of faith because I sensed that God's will was for her to die. I really don't want to go through feelings of guilt or not trying hard enough on my brother's behalf.

19:26  
Blogger Fretted Fingers said...

Awesome! I am so glad to be able to understand how you feel...u know when u search for answers and just dont understand anyways thanks for posting and an article u might like is on frequencyworship.com under the title what does it mean to worship..it kinda ties in what u were trying to say here

13:59  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, God is sovereign but at creation He chose to restrict His sovereignty and put man in control of the earth to rule and subdue it. Unfortunately man gave that authority to Satan who is now legally the god of this world, which is why it is in the state it is. God does not always get what He wants e.g., it is “not His will that any should perish” but we know that many will. Why? Because God gave us free will and He will not violate His own mandate. If we are making all the decisions and not walking in submission and obedience in what sense can it be said God is in control of our lives? With respect to healing or any other need, even under the Old Testament God’s people had a better expectation to what most have today despite the fact that we are operating under the new covenant which is based on better promises! Jesus called healing the “children’s bread” referring to old covenant teaching. In the old covenant Jer 29 v 11 states God’s purpose for them “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. How does this sit with Him stripping us and making us poor? 2 Cor ch 8 V 9 says He became poor that we through his poverty might become rich or abundantly provided. We have an enemy who is seeking to kill us, steal from us and destroy us and many do not realise the battle they find themselves in and sadly they are not being taught in their churches how they can overcome in the struggles and battles of life. If God be for us who can be against us, he who did not spare his own son but gave him up for us all how will he not along with Him freely gave us all things? Based on Mark ch 11 v 23 & 24 “I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours., either Jesus was a liar or it’s because we haven’t been taught how to overcome doubt and are living under a general cloud of confusion. Again James 1 v 6 & 7 makes the same point. “But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all he does.”

22:22  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

amazing song. powerful stuff. we so often pretend to have a handle on all that God is and does - it's great to be reminded to take a step back and remember that He's in control and that we 'know not all His plans.'

sam

23:53  
Blogger Pete said...

Yep that's a time bomb you set off there JP but I guess you knew that any way!
I confess to singing the chorus with gusto and the verses with a scary lump in my throat!
Stripping me ?
Making me poor?
It's all about a relationship (that's my mantra!) with God Almighty who amazingly wants us as His children.(........now worship!)
My relationship as a Father to my children goes like this............... I know what's good for you. What you need and when you need to be stretched or when you need to be protected.
My relationship with my Dad when he was alive went something like........hey Dad I know you love me so can you do...XYZ ? or will you give me ABC?
Somewhere in the middle of all that is a truth trying to get out.
My Heavenly Dad loves me and wants to give me a life of fullnesss cos He promised He would but as a child my view on what 'fullness' of life is tends to be quite selfish and narrow.
I do know that God response to our loving actions and our choice to put Him first. Wether that means He's gonna give me everything a I ask for, I'm not sure.
At the end of the day I just want to love God and be as Jesus like as He gives me the grace to be!
What ever is round the corner I can only say that He will give me the strength to overcome/face/wrestle with.............still I will praise Him.
Keep writing those God songs Jonny

16:45  
Blogger Johnny Parks said...

Hi

Thanks for the comments. I just wanted to post a wee note to encourage folk to be friendly when posting comments. There have been a few comments that I havent posted as I think the tone wasn't as helpful as it could ahve been. Some good points were being made but not is a freindly way.

We are more than happy for people to express their views however please do so with respect and grace.
Thanks
Johnny

16:41  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in Scotland so I reckon it may be a wee while before I hear this song much to my annoyance! I value deeply the wrestling you are engaged with and urge you to keep wrestling! I understand God's will in a very simple manner....God promises to walk with us....always...regardless.....that's it! I struggle to think of God as in any way arbitrary like you Johnny...why would God want anyone to suffer if He (?) She (?!) could stop it? You are right on the mark Johnny when you wonder why we in the West have sooooo much and so many others have sooooo little! So is God sitting in His heavenly place, picking and choosing who will suffer and who will die? I can't believe that - I can believe that God gives us free will to choose how we live and the choices we make impact and influence and bear consequences for so many others as well as ourselves. It wasn't anyone's fault that Hannah was barren - life sucks but in committing her sorrow to God she is modelling how we are to live. I believe too that God places restrictions upon Himself.....that God chooses to be vulnerable and invites us to be agents of His love choosing to love others sacrificially and to model God's love....I don't think for one minute that God hears our prayers for healing and 'rubber ears' us!! I do believe that healing means being given the strength to cope with our lives in pain, that healing means being released from this painful life to be in God's painless Presence....death is good and nothing to be afraid of. I also believe that God's will is for all of us to be whole. God is sovereign - yes absolutely but in that sovereignty God invites us to be co-workers. Life is hard and unless we lament we can't praise....for me the key is to be honest with God, to own who I am fully - all the crap and all the wonder! In this honesty to give all to God and to wait...as Hannah waited.....in her pain and sorrow her feelings of despair and the rawness en route to bitterness! In giving all that to God and doing all I can to ease the times and situations I live in I wait....and in my waiting I hope and in my hoping I am disturbed again to re-examine my living and to live more authentically in Christ....and to be part of the transformation God intends for all not just me in my small corner!!! Phew! I would love to hear the song any chance you could put it online? Keep asking those questions Johnny, and alongside that read, "Faith Seeking Understanding." by Daniel Migliore....that's a great book to keep you company as you wrestle! Well done and may you catch a glimpse of your worth and wonder today!

20:08  
Blogger Whit said...

Nice to find your blog. I enjoyed seeing y'all when you came to Grace Fellowship in Snellville, Georgia a few months ago. Keep up the good music!

15:43  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow I've only just discovered you guys and 'All is Well' has ministered to me so much - truly anointed song X

16:19  

Post a Comment

<< Home